Technical Group Supervisor
Processing Algorithms and Calibration Engineering
Instrument Software and Science Data Systems
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California
The development of systems for automated digital mapping, image exploitation and analysis, and instrument geometric calibration
Multi-Angle Imaging Spectro-Radiometer (MISR)
The Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer (MISR) instrument provides a unique opportunity for studying the ecology and climate of Earth through the acquisition of global multiangle imagery on the daylit side of Earth.
Planetary Robotics Vision Ground Processing ( PRoVisG)
Planetary Robotics Vision Ground Processing ( PRoVisG) will build a unified European framework for Robotic Vision Ground Processing.
Proba-V is a miniaturized ESA satellite tasked with a full-scale mission: to map land cover and vegetation growth across the entire planet every two days.
- B.S. in Geodetic Engineering, 1986; University of Belgrade
- M.S. in Photogrammetry, 1991; Purdue University
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California
- Science Team Member - Multi-Angle Imaging Spectro-Radiometer (MISR), 2013-present
- Steering committee member - ProVisG (Planetary Robotics Vision Ground Processing), 2009-present
- Technical Group Supervisor - Production Algorithms & Calibration Engineering, Instrument Software Systems, 2005 - present
- Geomatics Engineer, 1993-present
Analysis, design, and implementation in the areas of sensor geometric modeling, data calibration, pattern matching, and 3D feature extraction in order to facilitate remote sensing mapping capabilities for Earth science missions
- Technical Group Supervisor - Science Software Systems, Earth Science Data Systems, 2002-2005
- Co-Chair - Working Group "Sensor calibration and testing," Commission I "Image Data Acquisitions - Sensors and Platforms," International Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ISPRS) 2001-2008
- Digital Photogrammetry Applications, Intergraph, Corp., Huntsville, AL, Senior Software Analyst
- 2013 NASA Group Achievement Award for successful development and flights of the Airbourne Multiangle SpectroPolarimetric Imager and demonstration of advanced polarimetric imaging technologies.
- 2004 NASA Space Act Award for MISR geometric calibration
- 2002 NASA Exceptional Achievement Medal for outstanding technical accomplishments in developing and successfully deploying innovative photogrammetric applications
- 2000 JPL Outstanding Accomplishment Bonus Award
- 1991 Nellie Munson (Purdue University) Outstanding Graduate Assistant Award
- Refereed Publications
- Jovanovic, V., Diner, D., Davies, R. "Challenges, Solutions, and Applications of Accurate Multi-angle Image Registration," book chapter, submitted for publishing in Edited Book "Image Registration for Remote Sensing," Cambridge University Press.
- Jovanovic, V., Moroney, C., and Nelson, D. "Multi-angle geometric processing for globally geo-located and co-registered MISR image data," Remote Sensing of Environment, Special Issue, 2006.
- V.M. Jovanovic, M.A. Bull, M. M. Smyth, and J. Zong, "MISR In-Flight Camera Geometric Model Calibration and Georectification Performance," IEEE Transaction on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. 40, No. 7, July 2002.
- V. M. Jovanovic, M. M. Smyth, J. Zong, R. Ando, and G. W. Bothwell, "MISR Photogrammetric Data Reduction for Geophysical Retrievals," IEEE Transaction on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, Vol. 36, No. 4, July 1998.
- R.P. Korechoff, V. Jovanovic, E.B. Hochberg, D.M. Kirby, and C.A.Sepulveda, "Distortion calibration of the MISR linear detector arrays," SPIE Proceedings Volume 2820-19, Denver, Colorado August 1996.
- Additional Publications
- Morain and Budge (eds). "Post Launch Calibration of Satellite Sensors," Taylor& Francis Group, London, 2004. ISBN 90 5809 693 9.
- Jovanovic, V., and Nelson, D., "Permanent validation of the geometric calibration as complement to MISR data production system" ISPRS Commission I Symposium "From Sensor to Imagery," Paris 2006.
- G.B. Bailey, D. Carneggie, H. Kieffer, J.C. Storey, V.M. Jovanovic, and R.E. Wolfe, "Ground Control Points for Calibration and Correction of EOS ASTER, MODIS, MISR and Landsat 7 ETM+ Data," SWAMP GCP Working Group Final Report, USGS, EROS Data Center, Sioux Falls, SD., 1997.
- David J. Diner, Jeffrey T. Booth, Edgar S. Davis, Roger Davies, Veljko Jovanovic, Steven A. Macenka, and Catherine Moroney "Future Mission Concept for Operational Stereoscopic Retrieval of Cloud-Top Heights and Cloud Motion Wind Vectors," IEEE Aerospace Conference March 3-10, 2007, Big Sky, MT.
- Jovanovic, V., B. Ledeboer, M. Smyth and J. Zong, "Georectification of the Airborne Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer, ISPRS joint workshop, "High Resolution Mapping From Space 2001" Hamburg, Germany
- Abdou, W. A., Mark C. Helmlinger, Veljko M. Jovanovic, John V. Martonchik, David J. Diner, Charles K. Gatebe and Michael D. King, Evaluation of MISR BRF measurements: Intercomparison with coincident airborne and ground field measurements. Submitted for publication to Remote Sensing of Environment, 2006.
- Jovanovic, V., "Global Earth mapping with NASA's Multi-angle Imaging SpectroRadiometer (MISR)" SPIE Proceedings, 9th International Symposium on Remote Sensing, Crete, Greece, 23-27 September, 2002.
- Jovanovic, V., "An automatic geometric quality assessment and in-flight geometric calibration updates" ISPRS Commission I Mid-Term Symposium, Denver, USA, 2002.
- J. Zong, V. M. Jovanovic, M. M. Smyth, "MISR band-to-band registration," SPIE.